Novelist – Speaker – Master Storyteller
Award-winning & bestselling author Kate Forsyth has captivated audiences all around the world with her passion, charm and verve.
One moment she’ll make you laugh; the next she’ll bring you to the brink of tears. Most of all, she will inspire you to find your own story and to be brave enough to tell it.
Kate Forsyth is the internationally bestselling and award-winning author of almost forty books, ranging from picture books to poetry to novels for both children and adults. She was recently voted one of Australia’s Favourite 15 Novelists, and has been called “quite possibly … one of the best story tellers of our modern age.’
Kate is an accredited master storyteller and has a doctorate in fairy tales from the University of Technology, having already completed a BA in Literature and a MA in Creative Writing. She is known as Australia’s ‘Queen of Fairy Tales’ (to know more about Kate, read her Official Biography).
Kate is also a direct descendant of Charlotte Waring, the author of the first book for children ever published in Australia, ‘A Mother’s Offering to her Children’.
An eagerly sought after lecturer and speaker, Kate has:
- taught barefoot Fijian children in schools with dirt floors
- told ghost stories in the shadow of Melrose Abbey in the Scottish Borders
- created zombie romances with wildly excited children – including a young prince – at an elite Singaporean school
- celebrated the gift of an original gypsy caravan to the Powerhouse Museum with tales drawn from Gypsy folklore
- motivated jaded professionals in a spiritual retreat on a Greek island
- swapped anecdotes on stage with authors like Joanne Harris, Diana Gabaldon, Raymond Feist, and Terry Pratchett at countless literary festivals from Chicago to Glasgow
- given the keynote speech at an academic conference on Folklore & Fantasy at the University of Chichester in Sussex
- been invited to lecture on fairy tales and her books at Oxford University
- inspired under-privileged children at Kirribilli House, at the special request of the Governor-General, the Honourable Quentin Bryce
- amused and diverted audiences at literary lunches and dinners held at haunted homesteads, country pubs, rustic vineyards and elegant restaurants
- helped countless people to connect and communicate by harnessing the seductive power of storytelling
No matter the event, no matter the organisation, Kate Forsyth can entertain and embolden, stimulate and surprise, her audience.
THE STORY OF MY LIFE
THE SOLACE OF STORIES
Kate talks about the astonishing power of stories to connect with other people. A subtle and powerful tool, useful in teaching, marketing, advertising, or any industry which involves communication between people, storytelling bridges the gap between humans and helps them to empathise and learn and experience in ways that facts and figures can never hope to match. Stories take place in the imagination and so allow us to tap into the creative well which is the source spring of innovation, exploration and change. Stories move us to tears, make us laugh, and inspire us to think and wonder and create (and Kate’s stories will do all this and more).
Kate is an accredited performance storyteller and has told tales all over the world, to both adults and children. She knows dozens of tales, and has a small box full of fascinating charms and found objects that a member of the audience can pick at random to help choose the story Kate will tell. Here are just a few of Kate’s most popular stories to tell:
A TOUCH OF MAGIC WORKSHOP
MASTERCLASS WORKSHOP: BLASTING THROUGH WRITER’S BLOCK
BUILDING CASTLES IN THE AIR WORKSHOP
MASTERCLASS WORKSHOP: PLOTTING & PLANNING
MASTERCLASS WORKSHOP: HISTORY, MYSTERY & MAGIC
WRITING FOR CHILDREN WORKSHOP
WRITING THE FANTASTICAL WORKSHOP
THE STORY DOCTOR – AN EDITING MASTERCLASS
RE-SPINNING THE MAGIC OF FAIRY TALES
BRINGING CHARACTERS TO LIFE